Monday, March 05, 2007

Quarters Back Monday

I am very blessed to have close friends who are willing to tell me when I'm being an idiot. Good friends who are willing to speak that candidly should be treasured.

Vanessa wrote me a long email after reading this blog basically confirming much of what I've been thinking about in terms what I'm doing wrong with my training regimen. I'll be going over it more carefully over the next few days to help me re-assess and re-evaluate my priorities. (Thanks V! You are awesome.)

So I guess the first thing I need to do is stand up and make a declaration to the room.
"I am an excercise addict." Sunday night it was pretty clear just how much of an Endorphin Junkie I am, when I was completely and utterly physically and mentally wiped after a 3 hour skate session, yet I felt really really Great. Of course I could barely drive at that point and accidentally ran a red light and had a near collision with another car.

Train SMARTER, not HARDER. I've always known this was what you should be doing, but I've always had trouble sticking to that kind of mentality. Most coaches/trainers I've had in my life have been in the Suck It Up and Push Through it school.

Saturday was a full rest day, which I needed, but I overdid it on Sunday.

It was a pretty late night on Saturday (dinner, Lemony Snicket concert, Carolyn's Brother's birthday). It pretty much did me in when it was time to get up at 7:00am to head to indoor inline practice. I don't think I would have gotten up if Jen wasn't getting up so early to head out to do the Chilly Half Marathon. She didn't like my idea to Bandit the race, so I decided I would go to indoor inline practice since I had to be out in Burlington in the afternoon anyways.

Very quiet at Scooters this morning. A pretty casual skate with a bit of interval training. Then we did Eric G's kid/beginner class and practiced some basics. I appears that the proper technique for "the Circle Drill" has completely fallen out of my head after not doing it for so long. Eric had to go over the basic steps with me again, but I felt really rubber legged at that point from doing it wrong.

I didn't have a nap and as I was driving out to Ice, it was obvious from my driving that the lack of sleep was catching up with me. For the sake of my safete and others, I really need to be fully alert and not so tired when I drive.

We did some interesting drills during beginner ice practice. Basically skating on the outside edges. My balance is still way off on the left.

Jared's advice: Full pushes to the side. Less choppy.

Stayed for the advanced practice and did the laps and relays. Stayed and helped put the mats away which was an extra workout I didn't anticipate.

WHAT I ATE ON SATURDAY
Spinich, Tandoori Chicken, Butter Chicken, Garlic Nann, tomatoes, Lentil Soup, Sag Paneer, Lamb, Pakoras, chicken wing, Ice Cream, Oranges, Expensive Deserts, peppermint tea. Mango Lassi.

WHAT I ATE ON SUNDAY
Flax Bagel with Cream Chese, crepe omelette with bacon, mushrooms bologna onion, waffle with custard cream banana strawberry kiwi, mango smoothie, berry juice, Peanut Butter Bagel, apple

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home