Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My Hip be Square

Woke up with my hip feeling really stiff and sore, a result of the fall after I was body-checked last night. I thought about the advice Morgan gave me. Even though the drill was about keeping your position in the pack, better that I just give it up rather than getting injured over it.

Didn't eat properly before the workout again. As Vanessa was telling me the other day, I really have to be careful about nutrition if I'm on a more intensive excercise routine.

Pushed myself tonight, and I was a bit OCD at the gym when I discovered that the McCaul Pump class was full. I dragged Jen off of her cardio machine and down the street to the Eaton Centre location and managed to squeeze into the packed Pump class there, so I got to do my weights. I was losing all form on the biceps by the very end, but managed to keep it together through most of it with the 10kg. Kept the Squat weight low at 20kg and no weight on lunges to give my legs a rest.

I think Jen realized I was in a mood, and she generally figures it's best to drive the crazy-making out of me is via physical excersion. So she convinced me to stay for Sabrina's Combat class, as long as I took it easy. No such thing, maybe it's my pride as an instructor, but I just couldn't take the low impact options. Actually felt a bit better than yesterday, but we were back to release 30, so my body could pretty much do that on autopilot at this point. Although Muy Thai Jump Knees were insane.

I had a Booster Juice with Creatine in it afterwards just to see if it would aid in recovery.

My other thought was, why do ALL the Les Mills classes tend to do things like the "plank" in the same release period? Then the plank disappears for subsequent releases only to reappear again all at the same time. Wouldn't it make more sense to stagger them a bit? Or at least have them consistently in the releases as opposed to popping up once in a blue moon?

It occured to me today that I'm much more tired than I usually am during the height the regular outdoor inline season. I'm not doing the huge amount of mileage I log in during Spring through Fall, yet here I am just wiped all the time which seems to be taking a toll mentally as well as physically. What I'm thinking is that over the past few years, my body has just really gotten used to the long distance skates where for the most part I'm skating in a straight line. Between Indoor Inline and short track ice, I'm now forcing it to constantly crossover, which is an entirely new thing that it is not as accustomed to. The unrelenting tight crossovers we are forced to do here in the confined spaces is a different kind of crossing over that we do at the 400 meter track at Landesdown.

I'm starting to think about what Kevin Smith originally told me about the importance of Rest Days in training when I took the inline speed skating workshop a couple of years ago. The problem is these days I just feel anxious and lazy when I don't go to the gym or get a workout in. Maybe I should be forcing myself to take an entire rest day off between workouts, and work harder on the workout days?

WHAT I ATE TODAY
Dark Chocolate multigrain bar that they gave out on the subway the other day, Booster Juice with Power booster, Mango Salad, rice, spicy thai noodle, spicy tofu and veggies, green curry tofu, mango juice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home