Friday, March 02, 2007

bits and pieces

Sigrid dropped me an email with this info:
"2 things: Creatine is not for recovery specifically. Because it helps your muscles you end up being able to work harder but that is just a side effect. Creatine is to build muscle and should be taken before or during training, especially weight training.. Glutamine is for recovery, so is Zinc and Magnesium. If you take the latter 2 be sure not to take it with Calcium because Calcium inhibits Zinc uptake. Finally, arginine promotes growth of muscle AND recovery, should be taken 30min before training.

The second thing is rest: Kevin is right, very important. You need to take rest so you don't burn out. You can do a very easy 30min ride on rest days so you don't feel lazy. Easy riding also promotes recovery :-)"

Thanks for clarifying Sigird. The only thing that seemed to stick in regards to that conversation was "amino acids". I normally get the Wheatgrass/Barleygrass booster in my post-workout smoothie. Don't know much about that other than it's supposed to be good for me. I'll have to ask more about arginine at next week's practice.

I think overall I need to take a look at my nutrition and be more pro-active about what I'm eating.

Tomorrow is a Rest Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home