Saturday, May 19, 2007

Port Credit and Back

Jen and I hit the "snooze" button a few times this morning. Woke up relatively early (for me) and headed down to the gym to do weights. Only ate an apple, should have had something more substantial for fuel. Weights felt tough, again I don't know if it's just the extra psychological factor of using the slightly weighted bars at Mount Pleasant. I'm trying to figure out if I should be putting weights on my lunges, my thinking is always to save my legs, but perhaps I should be "shocking" them more?

Went for all you can eat tempenyaki/sushi across the street with Mike. Tried to at least eat some spinich and fresh fruit to balance out the fried stuff that was not-so-good for me.

Kevin Noh coined a new term today... "Mouse Potato". Like a Coach Potato, except that you spend all your time in front of the computer instead of the TV. So to avoid being "Mouse Potatoes" on such a fine day as today, we went for a skate out to Port Credit and back. This would be my first official Long Slow Distance (LSD) this year and it was tougher than I anticipated (or perhaps it was the fact that I did weights this morning?).

Kevin gave me a gift of a set of wheel covers today! I thought that was extraordinarily kind of him. They are essentailly kind of like an inline skate "cozy" to cover your wheels and frames to keep them protected and out of the dirt. Given my tendancy to haul my skates around with me everywhere and on public transit and particular, it's a very useful pair of items to have. He also showed me the other usage of stuffing my shoes/sandels in them when I stuff them into my bag while I've got my skates on. Saves me from bringing along a plastic bag!

We took the subway down to Union and then the streetcar down to Bathurst where we bladed up and did a warmup from around the Tip Top lofts, past the CNE/Ontaria Place and down the new stretch of beautiful new recreation path heding east towards the West Beaches/High Park/Etobicoke Bridge stretch of the MGT. Kev tightened up his laces at the tennic courts and we zoomed down the hill and on our way out to Port Credit. The weather was perfect, not too cool or warm. According to my Garmin, we did a total of 44.58km from Port Credit and back, although I would place that at a little over 46km including the warmup.

Towards the end, Kevin mentioned that he's always amazed that I can go as fast as I can given my incredibly bad habit of setting down my wheel way too early and close togehter... it's a continuing problem area of mine. It means I'm not getting my full push in. Someething to try and work on. Lately I'm been trying to keep my toe from pointing out on the recover. I'll need to work on getting the full benefit of the push as something major to focus on and correct. I should try and follow skaters who get that entire push in to try and follow the full rythm of that push.

I had the best Creamsicle ever afterwards. Just after we stopped at the Tip Top Tailor lofts the Dickie Dee guy came by. Those guys are awesome. They bring large boxes of frozen treats right to you one the rec trail! The Miracles of Modern Technology. 8)

There is moldy stuff growing in the tube of my camelpack which I will be needing to clean out better.

WHAT I ATE TODAY
Apple, tempenyaki beef, miso soup, salmon sushi, crab sushi, white rice, mango, chicken yaki tori, 1 chicken wing, fried chicken bits, spinich, pineapple, kiwi, creamsickle, dried fruit strip, gatorade, fried dumpling, mixed chinese greens, veggie curry "chicken", white rice, 1 piece of fried veggie "fish", small spring roll, tea, coke, veggie "beef" rice noodles, hot and sour soup.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home