Thursday, February 22, 2007

Getting some Perspective

I did most of a noon hour Yoga class with Yvonne at St Clair today and it was fantastic to just get in some stretching. It's a nice Oasis to take a chance to just breath and relax my body in the middle of the day. Yvonne is also great about me sneaking in partway through classes. She's just happy to see you even if you only wander in for half an hour or even 15 minutes.

I had lunch afterwards with my good friend Vanessa (Hi V!), who is a personal trainer amongst other wonderful things. I mentioned my constant fatigue to her and she thought it might have something to do with my diet which is undoubtably true lately. I tend to get the winter blahs this time of year as well, I have to remember to take some Vitimin D. She also mentioned that it's always helpful to take a look at the bigger picture and the long term goals as well. What am I accomplishing with my regimen? What I found interesting was the idea that your body should get a week's break every 12 weeks. I wonder if that would reinvigorate me? Preferably somewhere in a sunny climate. 8) It also occurs to me my irregular sleep patterns could be a contribution.

Is the amount of physical activity I'm undertaking too much? Am I just getting older and have to start realizing my limitations? I try to get in a couple of rest days a week, but maybe I should think about an extra rest day or scaling back and giving up something. This winter is very different for me than my usual "off season" since I've added in both short-track ice speed skating and indoor inline. I also have a hard time saying no to trying out new things. I have a week to decide whether I want to try Dragonboat racing with some other inline folks (I think I have to register by March 1st), and I've been feeling the pull of wanting to do more intensive Martial Arts training once again. Vanessa pointed out that what it really comes down to is, what did I enjoy doing? I've always kind of dabbled in lots of different things and never really mastered any one thing. Lack of Attention span? I guess there is nothing wrong with that if that is what makes me happy.

Maybe it would help if I tried to map all this out as a plan over a few years? Set some goals or even just agendas. on what I want to do and prioritize a list Maybe rotate activities in and out to keep things interesting and balanced? The problem is the sheer amount of stuff I would love to do and even all the things I've never tried.

  • I really miss Taiko Drumming for example. I received an email a few months back saying Yakudo was now much closer and teaching out of japantown in Markham near my parents (and just up the highway from here now that I am driving).
  • I met a guy at a party this weekend who used to do Capoiera, and between this last Body Combat release which included Capoeira moves and the Capoeira seminar I took last year, it was something I wish I had more time for.
  • or any other Martial Arts! The Self Defense course really got me going again, and our session at Florida Jack's Boxing Gym where they offered to let us try a Muy Thai class as well at some point.
  • Then there is Skate-skiiing, which I did with Carolyn and some of the other girls last year. It would have been nice to do more of that.
  • Getting back to doing outdoor climbing! I used to love going outdoor rock climbing. Now I'm lucky if I get to the climbing gym once a week.
  • So do I sign up for Dragonboat Racing? It's a commitment of Saturday mornings. Candy did mention that we could go skating on the MGT afterwards. I wonder how many practices or Dragonboating races I am allowed to miss once Inline Race season begins?
  • Dodge Ball! Okay, so it's the least likely to happen, but I really did get excited to learn that Kathy and Pat were doing it a couple of years ago. I wonder if they still have that league set up at Toronto Sport and Social?



WHAT I ATE TODAY
Apple, Beef, Salmon Sushi, Rice, Salmon Skin Roll, Edemame Soy Beans, green tea, 1 fried chicken wing, tempenyaki vegetables (onions and sprouts), iceburg lettace salad with ginger dressing, miso soup, soba noodle with chicken. 2 Lick's Homeburgers on whole wheat with all the fixin's

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home