Tuesday, April 29, 2008

MEXICO: UXMAL SKATE!

This was by far my favourite day of skating in Mexico.

After a week of training on the track in the Yucatan, we did a fun road-skate that ended at the fantastic ruins of Uxmal.

Since it was my first road-skate of the season, following a week of hard training, I was just hoping to be able to finish and not skate alone at this point. The heat of the day was certainly challenging.

Things were going fairly okay for me up until we hit the first big hill. We were all in a fairly large pack with the cars driven by parents of the Yucatan skaters providing a degree of protection on either end of the pack from the traffic. Once we hit the hill however, the pack separated out. I watched as the gap opened up.

Once we reached the flat at the top of the hill, I was fortunately enough to catch a draft off of Jorge on his bicycle, and he pulled me up to the pack with Martine, Sarah, and a Yucatan girl. The Yucatan girl was obviously pulling way too much as we eventually lost her on one of the next few hills. We eventually picked up Mike G and Sergio fortunately, and for the most part if was a pretty enjoyable but challenging skate for me to try and keep up with a group of much stronger skaters. Sergio was eventually doing all of the pulling towards the end and encouraging us. As we hit yet one more hill, I was about to give up and let the pack go when Sergio let me know we just had a few more K to go. So I toughed it out and hung onto the pack... which was fortunate because it actually turned out we had less than a K to go and we arrived in Uxmal and enjoyed the comfort of the grass as we joined the faster skaters like JF and Benoit who were already there, and cheered the rest of the Toronto and Yucatan skaters into the entrance area of Uxmal.

The Toronto and Yucatan Skaters together on the last day!





The three Toronto Skaters with Jorge, the Yucatan Coach.


Hanging out at the stunning Mayan Ruins in Uxmal.







Photos Courtesy of Carolyn, Wilby and Cor.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home