Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Setting some Goals

So I've decided I need to set some goals in order to help me motivate myself out of this funk I've been in this past year. I'm starting to see why it's so hard to dig yourself out of a hole once your fitness level and weight gain start to spiral down out of control.

There are three main events that I'm planning on doing, and I hope to add a couple more on top of that. First up is the Ottawa Inline Festival on the Labour Day long weekend once again, following that is the Montreal 24 Hour and I'll finish off the season with the Montreal Defi as usual. Goals will be to cut down on my time on each of those respective courses. Not a tough challenge given the fact that I was still skating on my Lighting 100 rec boots last year.

I don't anticipate beating last year's Ottawa time will be too big of a challenge for me, and I really should shoot for something closer to a sub-1:20 time if I can get into any kind of shape (and skate smarter than I have been skating in races like Chicago). Hoping also to cut down on my lap times in the 24 hour Montreal event and be more of an asset to my team. Short of torrential rain and another mishap like last year, I also anticipate sticking with friends Jay and Joel in the Defi and hoping that I can be a strong component in working together for the full race.

Right now, I'm also turning over the New York 100 in my mind if I can do it on a budget and kick my butt into shape for that hill. Duluth feels like kind of a long-shot right now.


It rained tonight so I had a valid excuse not to go to practice for once.

I also won't need to water the plants up top on the rooftop.

Probably good to have a recovery day after doing Joel's annual August long weekend road skate yesterday with Mr Stitt and Mr Brown. We logged in 55 km, and it served to remind me about the kind of skating that I like to do. As usual it included plenty of hillwork and showed me that I need to do plenty more of that kind of skating to get back into shape. I noticed I was much more comfortable on the downhill descents through the suburban streets and even the tight corners that were added on weren't that bad (with a bit of a T-stop). The other great thing about the routes Joel chooses is that it encompasses a variety of terrain so that you are given the challenge of maintaining speed through rougher pavement and modify your technique accordingly. The moderate pace also allowed me to work on getting low and pushing long. Focussed quite a bit on trying to figure out where my knee was and trying to optimize my recovery. I found it an interesting challenge jumping back and forth between Joel and Jay given the difference in their respective skating styles.

I had a really good time (despite the early morning) just zipping around the streets of Burlington with a couple of friends. Overall, it's definitely one of the quiet highlights of the season for me every year.

I felt remarkably good afterwards compared to how I felt after Chicago last weekend. Although going back to Yoga today after many many weeks off showed me just how much I was "off". Couldn't hold much of a balance pose at all, and everything was pretty stiff and even some of the simpler poses weren't that elegant today. Not much range of motion either. I really need to start back doing regular Yoga at least twice a week.



WHAT I ATE TODAY
Rice Crepes with Hoisin and Soy Sauces.
Strawberry Banana, orange juice soy milk smoothie with Vega Powder and vitamins.
BBQ Rib Potato Chips.
Whole Wheat cracker.
banana.
Gazpatcho with Hot Sauce and pickles.
Stir Fry with tofu, veggie "chicken", onion and chinese broccoli.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home