Sunday, April 13, 2008

Run4 Reach 2008: Spring Tune Up

Back from the Run4Reach 1/2 Marathon in Ottawa. It didn't Rain!!! Although it did snow a tiny bit (but not enough to stick).

All things considered, from a skating standpoint I was pretty much exactly where I expected myself to be. Hung onto the main pack for most of the first half lap out, before falling off and skating solo to the turn around. Once again like every other year, I didn't slow down enough for the 180 turnaround and overshot it losing valuable ground and time.

Into the wind on the way back on the first lap, I decided to try and conserve energy as best I could and went at a cruising pace to fall back to a pack of familiar, comfortable and friendly faces I had spotted behind me on the turnaround. Dominique and Danny D, fellow Rabid Lap Dogs from my 24 Hour team, and my good friend and Chamaleon/TISC teammate Travis, all of whom I've skated with in at least a dozen races and events over the years. No point in fighting a losing solo battle into the wind when I knew how well we skate together in a pack. And that was pretty much the rest of the race, with all of us working together and everyone contributing their relative strengths. Travis in particular was very strong into the wind. At one point we also (suprisingly) picked up Mexican Traveller and Olympic Village bunkmate JF.

The one hitch that occurred after the first turnaround, I started hearing my right frame doing that rattle to let me know it was loose! Miraculously it held on for most of the race, although it was quite nerve-wracking to me at times. In anticipation of the inevitable, Danny D loaned me his tool, which I was praying that I wouldn't have to use (HUGE shout out to Danny D for being so well prepared for this kind of thing). Of course with 500 meters left, the frame finally came loose, and I managed to stay upright only to wrench my left calf doing so. I crouched down to stay stable and rolled to a stop against the curb. Luckily Ottawa Inline Volunteer Nathan (whom I had met the night before at Sergio's party) was on hand and helped me take off my wheels and tighten back up the frame. I stretched out my left calf, and scootched the remaining distance across the finish line.


Highlights of this weekend was getting to spend time with my friends from TISC, Ottawa Inline and the Montreal/Quebec skating clubs.

Sergio and Ursula were gracious enough to host us all at their house for a party the night before, despite one Skater nearly burning down their beautiful and newly renovated house 8). Carolyn, Sarah and I, the three Toronto Inline Skaters who did the recent Mexico Training Camp and Racing Event with Sergio had a wonderful time on Saturday night, making it a bit of a late night with Ursula showing us some highlights from Sergio's very impressive skating and cycling career in Mexico. I'm very much looking forward to next year's skating trip to Mexico!

Big Props to Cor for organizing the group gift for Sergio!

I also had a really great time at that fantastic pizza place once again for the post-race party that Ottawa Inline puts on.

One the way back from Ottawa, I had the pleasure of chatting with TISC teammate Leo about his former quad roller racing career twenty years ago and it was really interesting to hear about how all sports in Italy are so well supported by the national federation.


WHAT I ATE TODAY
Ice tea
2 brio
8 slices of meaty and meditarannean pizza.
pancakes
orange
fresh squeeze orange juice.

WHAT I ATE YESTERDAY
Crepe Cake with apricot and apple.
chicken stuffed with curried lamb
veggies and potatoes
Harvey Burger and Fries
ice tea
sugar snap peas.
carrots.
frozen fruit, orange juice, soy milk, banana, vega powder and vitamin smoothie.
nature's path zen cereal with choco Krispies in soy milk.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home