Friday, August 10, 2007

Circus School 1997-1999

What kid doesn't want to runaway and join the Circus?

I went to Circus School. I invite you to invent your own punchline.

I'd always been lean throughout most of high school and University. Imagine my dismay at discovering I had gained twenty pounds during the first year of my first sedentary desk job in "The Real World" following my year as a starving artist/filmmaker.

I always hated the gym... doing weights and machines was not my idea of fun, but the Jewish Community Centre down the street had a discount rate for students, so I joined by using my old Queen's University Student ID. While I was there one evening, I spotted a poster for Circus oriented classes that they held at the JCC. The next day I had coffee at the Second Cup patio with Susan, one of my former room-mates at Queen's, and I mentioned this to her. In one of the many many sets of bizarre coincidences in my life, Susan mentioned that her friend and current room-mate Elliot was an instructor at the Circus School. Even more of a coincidence was the fact that Elliot happened to be walking down the street at that very moment, and Susan called him over and introduced him to me. He invited me out to check out a class that week. At that point, I figured I was riding on the synchronicity highway as usual and decided to see where it would take me.

A couple of days later, I wandered into the gymnasium at the JCC, and was astounded to see all manner of Circus contraptions set up. It was like a playground for grown-ups! A trapeze hung from the ceiling, as well as ropes and hoops and silks and harnesses, trampolines, springboards, lines for tightrope walking, large metal wheels for people to ride around in, juggling balls and pins, and tumbling mats set up. I was hooked. Not that I was very co-ordinated or naturally talented, but I was persistant and didn't mind doing a hundred face-plants off the springboard into the large crash mat. I learned to juggle, walk the wire, a little bit of trapeze, tricks on the trampoline, how to ride the large metal wheel, some tumbling and finally figured out how to do a cartwheel.

I slowly got more fit, flexible and gained some skills along the way, and had the time of my life doing it.

It also helped me form my basic philosophy around fitness... that you should seek out the activities you love doing and have fun doing in order to create an active lifestyle that you can maintain and will want to pursue. No amount of gym memberships or jogging will be sustainable if you are not enjoying yourself. When you are no longer having fun, it's time to move on to better things.

My passion for Martial Arts and Rock Climbing eventually overtook the time I could commit to Circus School, although I did go back a few years ago with Jen to the new facility in the Globe and Mail building and did a class. I learned that I've lost most of the flexibility and that you do lose your skills and ability if you don't keep practicing at it. I did manage to make it all the way across the wire after some initial awkwardness. I doubt I could still do a proper flip on the trampoline or springboard, although I might still be able to do a cart-wheel.

I joined Florida Jack's Boxing Gym around the same time, and two in tandem really got me in the best shape of my life at that time, and on the road to athletic activity that I still maintain today. I'm still not a gym-person, but the discovery of fitness classes keeps me going... i barely ever touch the machines in the six years I've been a member/instructor at the Goodlife.

I wish I had photos or video from that period at the Circus School.

This photo was taken in 1998 in the Annex by my filmmaking partner and room-mate Emily.

The suit was the one I wore to work at that time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home